Sunday, August 1, 2010

Quiet Week

How did it get to be August? Time sometimes seems to fly. I am still loving watching the water in the cove change in depth and colors. This morning we had a clear blue sky and the cove was perfectly still so that the far side was mirrored in the water, so exact was the image that at first I thought I saw two new kayaks in the cove though, in truth, it was simply the reflection of the two kayaks that we always see on the far side of the cove. This evening the surface at high tide was rippled by the wind and so, so lovely with the varying shades and hues.

Papa Bear's scythe arrived from Scythe Supply. (Papa Bear knows his cubit measurement - from the tip of his longest finger to his elbow - do you?) He spent Tuesday using it to clear the pathway to the shore (which was desperately needed) and Mama Bear worked on rounding the edges of the board that will help to hold the towel holder in place. She used a rasp-like device and then sand paper. More sanding is needed, but the process seems to be working.

Mama Bear has been reading a lot, and most of Wednesday was devoted to devouring a book. I am reading Emilie Richards Ministry is Murder series. I have loved other books of hers that I have read and am loving these, too.






Thursday was a day trip to Bar Harbor - some appointments, a stroll around town, sitting at the dock looking at the boats (the ones we can afford, ones we might like to own, ones we might like to use for a while) and watching activities there (unloading lobster pots, carrying groceries to a boat, boats returning to moorings), and dinner at Rupununi's, which was fabulous. We were going to stay for the Town Band concert on the Green, but grew tired and came home.

Friday we learned that our Droid X's were available in Bangor, so a trip was made to obtain them.

Saturday was spent playing with the new devices: they are more than phones and we are having fun learning to use them and obtaining apps for them. Our favorite app thus far is the tide app: we can quickly see where the tide is and in which direction it is headed and when it will next be low/high.

Today, Sunday, I went to worship at St. John's the Divine in Southwest again. I had confused someone with the various names of the different people leading worship: this person thought I was visiting different congregations. St. John's is having a different person lead worship each week; I am going to one place only.

Today a mobile I have seen in previous years when I have worshiped with them was on display. I suspect it is there as a part of their prayers for peace. It is lovely. Many, many origami cranes in every color of the rainbow hang on the mobile. To the Japanese, the crane is the symbol of longevity and happiness or honor and loyalty. Cranes are difficult to fold and almost impossible to refold if unfolded after initial folding, so messages within them were considered secure as the recipient would know if the crane has been unfolded and refolded. It is said that if someone folds a thousand cranes they will be granted their dearest wish. A two-year old child who survived the atom bomb that was dropped by the United States on Hiroshima but later developed leukemia from the blast latched onto this tradition and from her hospital bed folded cranes hoping that her wish for world peace would come true. She died at age 12 before finishing her 1,000 cranes. Her classmates finished the 1,000 cranes for her, and the cranes were buried with her.

The Reverend Alice Downs led worship today. She shared that the scriptures we read were all about choices. As humans, as Christians, we needed to decide what really matters. Is it our stuff, our comforts or is it God? And of course, it is God. So the choice becomes how do we honor that choice? Hope, love, and light: these are God's gifts to us, for us to share with others. Rev. Down's sermon was longer, and much better crafted, woven and shared, but these were the highlights I now remember.

For the Episcopal parishes on the Island, Friday will be a hike up Beech Mountain to celebrate the Feast of the Transfiguration. I may join them. I am told that some return from this hike sun burned, but that thus far no one has had to wear a veil (a la Moses).

Papa Bear and I spent most of today reading, watching the Sox win, and playing with our phones. I am now reading books on it and find it fun - the phone is light enough to be easy to hold and it is so easy to flip to a new page. We are still learning about the phones and still trying to get them to be the way we want them to be. Papa Bear is graciously helping me as I am always a bit challenged by new technology. I remember when computer mice were introduced. I avoided them as long as I could and when I began to use a computer mouse, it took me weeks to learn to use one effectively. I am, however, persistent and learned to love the mouse and will learn to love this phone, too. Papa Bear has a spinning globe as his "wallpaper". I have a picture of blooming lupine.

My church at the House on the Creek is celebrating next Sunday the memory of the ministry of the child care center it sponsored for years. I will be with them in spirit for that service.

My walk/run program is entering its 9th week. I am loving the running. I am so blessed to be in this place where it is still cool and comfortable at almost any time of day.

1 comment:

  1. We watched Evan Almighty this week - and I was reminded by my spouse of what a cubit is and we then wondered if Papa Bear's scythe had arrived - and so it had! One learns so much from one's friends - especially from the blogs of special friends.

    ReplyDelete