Thursday, July 15, 2010

The President is Coming!



The President (of the United States, aka POTUS) and his family are coming to Mount Desert Island this weekend for a brief vacation. The Island is buzzing with rumors - Where will they stay? (Latest info is the Holiday Inn Regency in Bar Harbor where the wedding scheduled for this weekend will continue to happen.) What will they do? (I do not know: I plan to stay on the Quietside of the Island this weekend if at all possible.) Papa Bear, upon hearing the news, asked if I thought that POTUS had been reading our blog, and that his reading of it is what prompted this trip. Hmmm. Somehow, I doubt it. However, if you are reading this blog, Mr. President, please have dinner at the Town Hill Bistro (best food on the Island), see the Park Loop Road, perhaps go sailing, maybe take a hike and perhaps walk to Bar Island at low tide (if the timing of low tide cooperates). A lot to do in the little time you will be here, I know. Or maybe just stop for a bit and watch the tide go in and out. I highly recommend the latter.



Monday I did my walk/run on a glorious day. We also went bicyling. There were, amazingly enough, no sports available on television. The World Cup is complete (congratulations, Spain!), Boston Red Sox did not play due to the All Star game (which the National League won on Tuesday - I am glad all the professional baseball players had a bit of a rest: these people work too many consecutive days, in my opinion), and the Tour de France had a rest day. Tuesday, forecast to be a glorious day, was foggy. Papa Bear has explained to me that when the dew point is the same temperature as the air, the air cannot hold more humidity and so its water percipitates as cloud. This phenonmenon has been happening with regularity on the Cove and we have enjoyed watching it. Last evening we watched the thinest layer of fog I have every seen hover over the Cove at low tide near sunset: it was amazingly beautiful as it shimmered while it existed, faded away, and then reappeared, sometimes in a different location. We were able to see the Cove in a new way. We do not let the fog deter us when it happens, we go about our normal routine so on Tuesday watched the Tour de France and did some grocery shopping (fresh veggies) and read. We had taco salads for dinner. I made the taco seasoning: it was amazingly good! I investigated what it would take to make my own chili powder, and as the instructions include wearing rubber gloves, I think I may pass on this activity. On our outing, we drove by the remains the The Moorings restaurant, which had burned on Monday. It is destroyed. We are thankful that no one was injured in the fire or in fighting it. For Wednesday, torrential downpours were forecast. Let me just say the the local weather prognosticators need to spend a summer in the environs of the House on the Creek before they talk about torrential downpours. We had a nice rain with the windows open (during which we watched the Tour de France: the ending was an exciting sprint won by a team Radio Shack cyclist), then I did my run/walk. We went bicycling in the afternoon. Today is another glorious sunny low-humidity day. We have watched the Tour de France, have accomplished the weekly grocery shopping (but could not find the local no-hormone bacon) and I did my walk/run. We are talking of doing a bicycle ride on this side of the Island tomorrow as our planned hike was on the other side of the Island, which we will be avoiding until after the President and his family leave.



I tend to be a joiner and so am feeling somewhat disconnected at times, but am trying to be present to this feeling: that is part of what this summer of no commitments means, sometimes feeling a bit uninvolved and wondering what is next. It is an interesting experience.


The Cat continues her routine, though of late she has wanted us to put her evening meal out at regular time but seems to want to wait to consume it until we are eating our meal. She and Papa Bear had a tussle over bed space the other night. She wanted, he says, to sleep on his feet. Not a comfortable situation, and so The Cat was invited to find another sleeping place. The picture shows The Cat on one of her vigils from the screen porch. She is inside the screen on the lower right, head between the first and second pickets (counting from the right).

New desks are now several weeks late, but had a call today that the store anticipates receiving their shipment by Monday, so we have a bring-it-here time set for Tuesday next.

Should the President and his family decide to stop by, I will let you know what happens.

Pictures today from Mama Bear taken near high tide this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I saw her, I really did - peeking through the pickets! Good shot, Mama Bear!

    ReplyDelete